Google is a powerful search engine and can do so much more than just return websites that have the info you are looking for. I thought I would find a few of those tricks and pass them along.
8 Google Search Tricks:
1. Specialized Information Searches:
- Definitions: You can get a word defined in by using “define:warriors”
- Want to find food in a hurry? Type in the type of food and the zip code or city and the closest business are returned in the results. ex. pizza 78664
- Weather: find local weather by typing in weather and the city or zip code.
2. Restrict Information:
- Search Within a WebSite: If you put a word/term and then “site:” and then the domain name you can conduct a search within that web site. For example if you put “podcast site:robinstechtips.com” you would be searching for podcasts within this website only.
- Search within a range of numbers. Ex BIll Cosby parenting 2007 2008 will return anything posted from Bill Cosby on parenting between 2007 and 2008
3. Calculator – Basic Math Operations: Type in a equation and google will do the math for you ex. 12 + 34 – 56 * 7 / 8.
- Functions include: + – * /
- Percentages – % of
- Raise to the power of ^ or ** ex. 2^5 or 2**5
- Convert currency: Enter the conversion you want Google to preform: ex: currency of Mexico in USD or 40 USD in Euros
4. Filetype – Want to find pdf files, or just have powerpoints returned? type in the search terms and add “filetype:ppt”
5. What Time is it? Find out the time anywhere by asking “what time is it in Zimbobwe”
6. Track Flight Status: No need to go to the airlines page – just type in the airline + Flight + flight number. ex. Southwest Flight 805
7. Search for Related Terms – adding a ~ will opens results to terms that are related to the search word. ~education returns results with schools, universites, teachers, etc.
8. Phone Book – type in the name and city, state to return phone numbers
Not a Search Trick – But did you know: Google Maps now contains 360° views at the street level – Type in your address and look around your street.
Do you have any favorite tricks in Google to share?
Resources used to prepare this list: