Embedding a video allows for the presenter to stay within the PowerPoint environment and to filter out the ads and info that may surround the video on the internet.
Here is a powerpoint with the YouTube Video linked and the video embedded: embed
Directions to Embed in PowerPoint 2007
Note: Your computer must have internet connection when showing the PowerPoint in order for the video to work.
- Look to see if the “Developer” ribbon is available on your toolbar. If it is NOT:
- click on the Microsoft Orb (see red arrow)
- Click on “PowerPoint Options” on the bottom of the window.
- Under the “Popular” tab check S”Show Developer tab in the Ribbon”
- Click “OK”
- Open the Developer’s Ribbon and click on the “More Controls” option in the Controls box.
- Scroll down and select the option “Shockwave Flash Object” and click “OK.”
- On the PowerPoint slide click the mouse and draw a box where you want the video to be.
- Right click on the box you have just drawn and select “Properties.”
- Open Internet Explorer and find the video you want to embed in your presentation:
- Copy the URL in the address bar by highlighting the address and Ctrl + C
- Return to PowerPoint
- Paste the URL in the Properties Box in the “Movie” section.
- Change the URL by:
- Delete the “watch?” portion of the address
- Replace the “=” with a “/”
- From: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVfYwdGSsQ
- To: http://www.youtube.com/ v/aSVfYwdGSsQ
- Other items to change in the Properties Box:
- Loop – If you want the movie to play through once and stop select “False”
- Playing – If you want the movie to start automatically when the slide loads – “True” – Otherwise change to “False” if you want to click on the movie for it to start.
- Save your PowerPoint.
- Run the presentation and you should see the movie begin.
Here are the directions with screenshots in pdf Form: Embed a YouTube Video into PowerPoint 2007