The difference between using twitter and facebook is that Facebook statuses can be longer than 140 characters. But keep in mind that facebook statuses should not be paragraphs of information. Facebook posts are written to express your thoughts or opinions to you friends so a post should not read as if it is a report written for your teacher. Most students have a facebook account or have at least seen or heard of facebook. While using facebook is not advisable, you can take advantage of it’s draw to motivate students in your classroom. This can be done with one computer and a projector or with multiple computers.
Here are some ideas to have students summarize with using facebook in mind:
- Write a status update from a historical perspective or from the perspective or a character in the novel or an element in science
- What would Columbus have posted after landing in the New World?
- What would Robert E Lee’s posts been during the Civil War?
- What would Peeta have posted after the first day in the Hunger Games?
Other ideas using facebook:
- Respond to a status update – Show a sample status update on the board and have the students respond to it from different points of view:
- Read King George’s status update after the Boston Tea Party – how would Samuel Adams have responded?
- RolePlay – have students/classes assume different characters and interact with each other in a facebook like environment such as edmodo – or in a forum within moodle.
Ways to play this out in the classroom:
- Roles assigned to each class period – As a class look at the postings on the screen and decide the best response
- Roles assigned to different teachers – Interact with different classrooms as a class – partner with teacher who teaches your same grade level/subject in the building or find classes outside of the building who will assume a character adn interact with your classes
- break the class into groups and have the groups assume a character and decide together how to interact
- Roles assigned to different students
Resources to make this happen: